Wednesday, January 29, 2014

REVIEW: Birchbox January 2014

First subscription box review for the new year! Had to go with Birchbox since they were my very first beauty subscription box I discovered and the only one I've consistently kept over the last year or so. :) 

Here's what I received in my January box!


A really nice variety of products this month, I think. Makeup, hair product, nail product, lotion, & skincare! 

Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream
Nail Rock in Sequin Green
Juara Candlenut Body Creme
Paula's Choice Resist Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum 
100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara


First up, the Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream. I actually received this product already in the Target Beauty Box they put out a few months ago. It's meant to add shine to your hair and honestly I can't say I really notice a different in that aspect. However, it does smell fantastic and it leaves my hair feeling smooth and soft! 


Next up, Nail Rock. I haven't actually used this product yet, but I've tried this concept!This kit comes with polish and a container of mini sequins, which are basically just big chunks of glitter. You paint your nails and then before they dry dip them in the sequins! This effect can be achieved using any polish and craft store glitter, but I will say it was smart to market the coordinating 'sets' together. I will definitely be using these green sequins come next football season (GO PACK GO!)


Ohhh Juara Body Creme. I wasn't expecting to be impressed by this, but I totally was! It's incredible moisturizing and not greasy at all. The smell is fantastic but I have a hard time explaining it...it's definitely nutty, but also a little fruity. LOVE IT. Unfortunately I think the full size is just a tiny bit pricey for a body creme ($35), but I'll use up the sample!


I adore Paula's Choice, so I was thrilled to get one of their products in my box! I received the Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum. Based on my experience with their other products, I have no doubts that this one is also fabulous but unfortunately I can't really vouch for the effectiveness. The serum is meant to reduce the appearance of wrinkles which I don't have (yet!) and fight the signs of aging. I can definitely use it to fight signs of aging but I don't think those are results I'm going to be able to see by the time I use up the sample. I will say that I really like the texture. It's easy to apply, lightweight, and not greasy at all!


The dud of the box, unfortunately. I really like 100% Pure's lotions and I was excited to try something from their makeup line but the Fruit Pigmented Mascara is a bust. You can't really tell from the picture but most of the product is dried up inside the tube and there's hardly any on the brush. I tried applying it to my lashes and it didn't even really stick. Also smells really funky. It's possible I just got one from a bad batch, but I think I'll stick with my regular mascara!


What did you ladies get in your Birchboxes this month? There were a lot of great products I saw in the spoilers that I'm curious about. 

We're only a few days away from February spoilers!

No comments:

Post a Comment