Saturday, August 17, 2013

REVIEW: Ipsy August 2013

Ipsy bag is here! :) This month's theme is 'Glamour Academy,' which is fitting for back to school season. Let's take a look at the items I received in this month's bag!


First, the bag itself. If it's not obvious by blog title, I seriously love Harry Potter. Don't care that I'm twenty-four, I just adore it! The bag kind of reminds me of one of the house crests or something, plus purple has always been one of my favorite colors. The gold shows up more yellow in this photo, but it's definitely a slightly metallic gold! At first I didn't really like the fact that it says 'Ipsy' and 'Glamour Academy' all over it, but honestly, I don't even really notice it. 

A first look at my items this month! 

Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub. "Unique facial scrub formulated with Jojoba Wax Beads and Activated Charcoal to effectively remove dead skin, impurities and toxins. Jojoba Wax Beads provide gentle exfoliation without leaving microlacerations on delicate skin. Highly absorbent Activated Charcoal penetrates deeply into pores to draw out impurities and toxins. Refines texture and encourages skin renewal, leaving skin smooth and refreshed."

I had never heard of charcoal in skincare products until I got a deluxe sample of Origins Charcoal Mask a few months ago. Tried it, fell in love, & bought a full size. It just makes my skin feel SO clean and clear! I only use it once a week though, so I was really excited to see this Jojoba Charcoal Scrub in my bag this month. I wet my face, applied a bit of this to my palms and then gently scrubbed into my face. I actually let it sit kind of like a mask for about five minutes before I rinsed it off as well. Just like the mask I love so much, this makes my skin feel super clean and refreshed! LOVE IT. And I love that the Jojoba beads are waxy, so it's not super harsh on my skin.


MICA Beauty Cosmetics Mineral Eye Shadow in Bronze. "With this unique formula, your Eye Shadows will look ultra smooth and stay put for hours without creasing or pulling the delicate eye area."

I received this product in my April Ipsy bag in the color 'earth' and adored it. That one was a shimmery pale pink shadow. This one is bronze and it's, well, bronze! It's so shimmery it's almost metallic. Absolutely gorgeous! Swatch a little farther down. :)


Pixi Lash Booster Mascara. "This unique mascara truly boosts your lashes, giving them a "push-up" effect that lasts all day. The dense, rich formula ensures that lashes are coated with maximum pigment, for long-lasting full colour. The cone-shaped brush coats each lash evenly for the ultimate smudge-free, waterproof lash & eye definition."

I don't mean to knock Pixi...but I haven't had a lot of luck with their products. I just find them sort of mediocre I guess! This one is no different. I LOVE mascara and I was intrigued by the 'lash boosting' claim of this one. Definitely did not see a boost in my lashes at all and it was actually kind of clumpy for me. I DO have it on in the photos at the end of this post, but I had to manually separate some clumps of lashes and apply three coats. Just not my favorite mascara!


Chella Dazzling Eyebrow Color Pencil in Dark Brown. "The fine tip on this sleek European-designed mechanical pencil has a creamy consistency that glides into place and can also be lightly smudged for a more natural look."

I'm cheating a little on this because I set up a trade for this item! I've just never been super into my eyebrows...I pluck them, but that's about it! They're thick and dark enough that I've never felt a need for an eyebrow pencil. But I'll say that I like that this one twists up so you don't have to sharpen it!


Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Anarchy. "Creamy, badass luxury. Our Pigment Infusion System™ delivers insane color payoff with creamy shine, Maxi-Lip™ plumps and nourishing oils leave lips cushiony soft. "

Oh. My. God. I can't even say enough good things about this lipstick. I've honestly never been a big lip product fan, but I'm trying to branch out lately. I saw the color of this one (Anarchy) and was a little hesitant since it's so bright but it's gorgeous! I'd wear this every single day. Plus the lipstick formula itself is a dream. It's nice and creamy and doesn't dry out your lips at all. 'Cusiony soft' is a completely accurate description. Plus, it has awesome staying power. I wore it last night for six hours and it didn't even start to come off until I brushed my teeth before bed. Even then, most of it stayed on! I'm definitely going to be purchasing a few other colors!



Swatches of MICA Beauty Cosmetics Mineral Eye Shadow in Bronze & Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Anarchy. No primers!


A few photos of my 'Ipsy Face' from last night! Wearing the MICA Beauty Eye Shadow in Bronze, Pixi Lash Booster, and Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Anarchy. 

This month's brand partners! Check out more information on the discounts for the month here: http://mischiefmanagedmakeup.blogspot.com/2013/08/discount-codes-ipsy-august-2013.html


Also, Ipsy & Benefit Cosmetics are teaming up this month for a 'Lash Bash' Giveaway! You can sign up at lashbash.ipsy.com. Just enter your information and let them know why you'd be the 'hostest with the mostest.' You can also increase your chances of winning by uploading an Instagram photo showing why you'd be a great 'glambassador.' I know I'll be entering! How about you ladies? 


What do you ladies think of your Ipsy bags this month? Hit or miss? 
If you're not signed up for Ipsy yet, you can use my referral link here!

No comments:

Post a Comment